Obesity has become a primary health concern for people of all ages. With people trying everything to reach their fitness goals, weight loss mobile apps have become an essential part of their transformation journey.
According to Web Development Stats, the number of weight management related products amounts to 11,000 worldwide. As a significant chunk of ordinary people trying to make the most out of it, healthcare software development under the weight loss category is now an ideal sector for investments.
This blog covers the following topics to let you gain insights about a weight loss app.
- Defining the end-users of the weight loss app.
- 9 Must-have features over the app.
- Monetizing strategy for the app
- Cost estimation of the weight loss app.
Without wasting time, let us cover each of them in detail.
The final/end users of the weight loss app
A significant chunk of the time gets invested in identifying and analyzing the weight loss mobile app’s target audience. Realizing the ultimate users of the app is essential to identify the must-have features for the app.
A weight-loss app mainly caters to people trying to shed those extra kilos of weight or those who are trying to aid them in doing so. For example, gyms, fitness centers, nutritionists, etc., may also utilize such apps to keep their clients engaged and motivated.
Here’s a list of 9 must-have features for the weight loss app
1. Quick Signup for more conversions
A quick and simple sign up sticking only to essential questions from the users is a must for a weight loss app. Also, the users must have the option of guest log/in to sign up when they feel the urge to. Following questions may be asked during sign up from the users:
- Present Weight
- Desired Weight
- Medical Complications (if any)
2. BMI Calculator to aid in fitness goals
Body Mass Index is simply the weight of a person (in kilograms) divided by the square of his/her height (in meters). As per World Health Organization, a BMI value above 25 indicates overweight, and above 30 indicates obesity.
The app must allow the user to learn about his/her obesity category so that they can make an informed decision about their lifestyle and fitness goal.
3. Calorie Tracker to help choose healthy food
The calorie model works on the principle of burning more calories and consuming less. Although the model is not entirely true, it indeed acts as a compelling way for users to lose weight. For example, a 100ml soda and an apple may have the same calories, but consuming an apple will help a person lose weight, while a soda will lead to weight gain.
Along with the calorie model, users must be well aware of ideal food choice (covered under diet plan) to make the most of the app. The calorie tracker will enable the user to manually fill in the amount of food consumed over which the app will display the consumed calories.
4. Customized Diet Plan to lose weight at a quicker rate
No two persons are identical unless they are twins, and so are the body structures. Based on a person’s health condition, body type, whether ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph, or a mix, the app must offer customized diet plans to individuals via nutritionists.
5. Customized Workout Routine to reach fitness goals in less time
Simple exercises with a mix of cardio sessions prove beneficial in the journey of achieving ideal body weight. Offering customized diets based on a person’s weight, flexibility, routine, etc. from trained professionals are a must for a wholesome weight loss app.
6. Water Intake Tracker, so users stay hydrated
This one’s funny but research indicates that people often confuse thirst with hunger and put a lot of unnecessary weight. Although the ideal water consumption varies from person to person, users must get timely notifications about water consumption from the app.
7. Motivation and Health Tips to keep the users engaged
There are tons of interesting facts about the human body that will keep the user’s more engaged. Achieving ideal weight and maintaining it may somewhat become monotonous for the users. However, your app can keep them engaged by allowing a motivation section for the users.
Users can watch inspiration videos, talk to each other, etc., to stay motivated and connected with the app.
8. Connectivity with wearable to make it more interesting
Users find it more interesting to connect their healthcare wearables with the app to stay alert about one’s progress. Although an additional feature, having it proves worthy for the success of the application.
9. Weight Loss tracker
Ultimately, it’s all about shedding those tires of fats from the body and finding a healthier version of oneself for the users. The weight loss tracker helps the user to stay updated bout one’s achievements. It can also be connected with social media platforms where users can showcase their hard work and achievements.
That was all about the essential features of the weight loss app. Let us now focus upon the monetizing strategies and cost aspects of it.
Here are 3 popular Monetizing Strategies for a Weight Loss App
- In-app advertisements: The developed app can act as a medium for diverse weight loss equipment, products, etc.
- In-app Purchase: Users can buy services of professionals from your app, and you can earn a standard fee on each purchase.
- Paid app: With an advanced marketing strategy, you can either allow additional features like video conference, wearables connectivity, or the entire app for a paid subscription.
Cost Estimation of the Weight Loss App
The cost of the application remains influenced by the following three factors:
- The complexity level of the app depends upon the technology stack, number of features chosen, etc.
- The chosen platform can be android, IOS, or cross-platform that saves your money and helps you reach a greater audience.
- The total dedicated working hours mainly influenced by the previous two.
Overall a medium-level weight loss application can cost anywhere between $25,000 to 40,000$.
Over to You
That was all about the essential features, monetizing strategies, and cost estimation of a weight loss app. Healthcare app development services in India can develop your app with an intuitive design and high user interface.
Indian firms usually charge much less than developed nations due to the large gene pool of talent in the country.